Sunday, December 25, 2011

My New & Improved Life

It's been a couple of months... Again.

This time, I really DO have an excuse. His name is Kriegh, and he was born November 28.

What about the rest of September, October, and November? It's called being pregnant. WHEW! That's not for wimps, I tell ya. After a few bouts of bed rest, lots of swelling, and an earlier than expected delivery, I've finally decided to get back to my blog.

I really have no point for this post, other than to say I'm back. I guess I could mention the "specs" on Kriegh...

Like I said, he was born November 28 at 5:08 a.m., after 17.5 hours of labor. He weighed 5lbs 15.5oz and measured 20.5 inches. We (my husband and I) weren't expecting baby Kriegh quite this early, so we were a bit unprepared... Unprepared meaning we hadn't yet completed ANY childbirth classes, the blinds weren't hung in the nursery, and I technically still had a week left of work. God had other plans, obviously :)

After Kriegh was born, the NICU nurses (NICU because he was 3 weeks early and it's typical protocol) began "beating" him on the back because he wasn't crying the way they wanted him to. Most babies wail - Kriegh was "singing." In other words, his lungs were working, but not like the doctor would have liked. SO - off to the Neonatal ICU he went :( Talk about being scared!! We obviously weren't prepared for this part at all, and it was tough to say the very least.

Born at 5:08 a.m., and I only got to touch my little boy for approximately 2 seconds and kiss him one time before he was whisked away. We were moved to our more permanent room to wait on a call from the NICU so we could finally meet our little man. Something around 5-7hours after he was born, Mitch and I FINALLY got to take a ride on the elevator to the next floor up and say hello to our little miracle. Seeing him hooked up to tubes and wires with a tiny little IV in his left arm was pretty overwhelming. There's no feeling that compares to being helpless in regards to your children. Let me also back up and say that we couldn't "touch" Kriegh, either. Since he was admitted to the NICU, he had to be tested for MRSA, so we had to wear gloves and gowns until the MRSA test came back negative - a little over 24 hours. THAT, my friends, was tough. That was my little boy laying there, and I couldn't stroke his cheek with my fingers, couldn't hold his little body next to mine. It brings tears to my eyes to even think about it. For me, the gloves only lasted a little while, because they graciously gave me the opportunity to nurse my little boy. Words cannot describe my feelings when the nurse called and asked if I could come and feed him!

Daddy got to hold Kriegh, gown, gloves and all, as soon as I did. We got to participate in our little guy's first diaper change (we - I changed, Mitch watched) and watch as Kriegh got his hair washed for the first time. He. Loved. It. Seriously, if he could've talked, I swear he'd have said "Ahhhh..."

Anyway, Kriegh was in the NICU from birth (Monday morning) until late Tuesday evening. We were FINALLY able to have him come to our room right before our "Congratulations" dinner, which seemed pretty appropriate :) Wednesday morning we had to release our sweet man to the nurses and doctors once again, this time for a more "normal" little boy procedure... Side note : When I asked the nurse how he did, her very uncomforting response was, "He did ok." :-/ Just ok?? :: Ok, back to story.

We were cleared to leave Dupont Hospital Wednesday afternoon, and we could not have been happier to be headed home! Of course we spent the night and the next day loving our new life and our new addition.

Unfortunately, we weren't home long. Friday was Kriegh's first check up - for jaundice and weight. After leaving the doctor, we headed to Logan's for what we thought would be our first family outing. Ha. My cell phone rang shortly after we ordered our drinks. It was our doctor's office saying Kriegh's bilirubin levels were extremely high and he would need to be admitted to the hospital. Really?  Admitted? Ugh. So, back to the hospital we went. I, of course, was hysterical - hormones maybe? - and went through probably a half a box of tissues by the time he was admitted.

They put him in a clear little box with blue lights overhead and a blue "blanket" for him to lay on. The blue lights help to flush the bilirubin out of them faster. So, again, we couldn't hold our little guy except to nurse him, and even then we had to hold the "blanket" on him. That was awkward, but I was willing to do whatever it took to get him better and HOME again! Friday night, long story short, he was stuck (yep, with needles) at least 7 times. I lost count after that, most probably because I was so mad I could barely think anymore. 7 times. A baby. SEVEN TIMES!!! Obviously you are not doing something right if you have to stick my son SEVEN times!! So, that story will wait for another day. Just know there is no worse feeling than knowing your child, your own flesh and blood is in pain and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it...

Saturday night around 9 p.m. we were finally allowed to leave the hospital. Again. With a bili blanket - one that wrapped around him so that he would continue to flush the bili out faster. Five LLLOONNNGGGG days of a bili light and daily heel sticks later, he was allowed off of the light because his level had dropped to 12.1. To begin it was 23.9. Another side note : a level of 25 can cause brain damage...

So Saturday, December 3, our little guy was finished with his hospital visits! It's now Christmas day, and tomorrow, Monday, December 26, Kriegh will be 4 weeks old. Time has surely flown!

I've learned A LOT in 4 weeks. Some of them?? :
- Take nothing for granted.
- God hears our prayers, and He DOES answer them - in His own time and way.
- It really is possible to love someone enough to lay down your life for them.
- A person can, in fact, survive on 2 hours of sleep in a 24 hour period :)
- The sound of a my son sucking on his "binky" is music to my ears
- It takes 4 times as long to get ready to go somewhere
- One little, tiny person requires a lot of "stuff"
- It's okay to ask for help. It's also okay to LET people help.
- Cherish every single second. Take lots of pictures.
- Love unconditionally.
- BE THANKFUL!!

I've learned that I am blessed in every sense of the word. I have an incredible husband that I watched become Daddy in an instant, and he's the best at it! I have a beautiful little boy who, despite a few small issues, is healthy and HERE! I have wonderful parents and awesome in-laws that love me, Mitch, and Kriegh more than we ever knew. Most of all? I have a God who heard my prayers, held me close, and got me through some tough stuff. HE blessed me with all of this, and to Him ALL praise is due!

2 comments:

  1. AHHHH man what a beginning, but look at him - heart melting cuteness!!! Glad you're back to blogging - hope to hear lots more!!!

    Rest and take care of your yourself and your little cutie!!!

    ReplyDelete